Community Relations and Marketing Director
June 12, 2019
Full Time Position
ArtsKC – Regional Arts Council seeks a strategic and goal-driven communicator and experienced marketer to serve as the full time Community Relations and Marketing Director. The successful applicant will show a record of high production with 7 – 10 years of experience in multi-channel marketing, content management, public relations, special events management and public policy. The Community Relations and Marketing Director must be a motivated problem-solver with the ability to manage multiple projects in a fast-paced environment. This position will create, implement and manage agency content and print collateral, online communications, website, social media, media relationships and special events. The Community Relations and Marketing Director will maintain the highest standards of excellence in agency branding, strategic messaging and thought leadership in the arts and culture community. The successful applicant will be responsible for securing strong working relationships among peers in partner arts and civic organizations as well as support the advocacy, diversity, and public policy work of the President and CEO.
The position reports to the President & CEO. Preference is given to creative, enthusiastic, and flexible individuals with a great sense of adventure and love of the arts.
The Mission of ArtsKC – Regional Arts Council is to unleash the power of the arts. It was formed in February 1999 and serves the five (5) county Kansas City region consisting of Jackson, Clay and Platte Counties in Missouri and Johnson and Wyandotte Counties in Kansas. It currently operates at an approximate annual revenue level of $2 million. It is led by a President & CEO and governed by a volunteer Board of Directors. The current board member listing can be found at www.artskc.org
The successful candidate will:
- Have strong strategic planning skills with a proven record of developing and implementing an effective marketing plan and strategies.
- Expertly manage own time and priorities and respect the time and priorities of others.
- Embrace entrepreneurial approaches beyond traditional business models.
- Be a strategic, collaborative professional.
- Establish relevant, realistic, and attainable goals and objectives while anticipating the effects, outcomes, and amount of time needed to deliver superior results.
- Build rapport and effectively communicate and listen to a wide array of engaged stakeholders who sometimes have differing opinions and priorities.
- Respond quickly and with agility to change with minimal resistance.
- Move toward solutions intentionally and optimistically.
- Have a passion for the arts as well as enthusiasm for growing ArtsKC’s commitment to excellence, public policy, diversity, and inclusion.
- Understand transactional data management, evaluation, and analysis.
- Display intellectual curiosity and a commitment to continual improvement of technical skills and subject matter knowledge.
- Thrive in a fast-paced work environment.
- Be willing to pitch in where needed.
- Employ a collaborative and team-oriented approach.
This position reports to the President and CEO, but will work closely and supportively with all other staff.
- A bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university.
- A minimum of seven to ten years of related experience.
- A collaborative and team-oriented approach.
- Professionalism and solid judgement.
- High emotional intelligence and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to think conceptually and specifically.
- Exceptional writing, content development, communication, editing and graphic design evaluation skills and experience.
- Hands-on creation and execution of web-based social networking and internet marketing campaigns.
- Experience in brand strategy and management.
- Deep knowledge of social media and web platforms and strategies.
- Strong understanding of management of special events.
- Management experience with media and marketing budgets.
- Pro-active problem solving ability in the face of changing conditions.
- Experience supervising people.
- Working knowledge of:
- o Adobe PhotoShop
- o Adobe Illustrator
- o Adobe InDesign
- o Constant Contact
- o SalesForce CRM
- o Microsoft Word
- o Microsoft Excel
- o G-Suite
- o Google Docs
- o Google Sheets
- o WordPress, WordPress plug-ins
- o AgoraPulse, Hootsuite, Hubspot or other scheduling/analysis tools
- o Google Analytics, Google Ad Grants, Google Task Manager
- o Facebook Analytics
- Advanced degree or certificate in arts management, communications, marketing or related field of study.
- Experience working with an arts organization.
- Experience working with development and other revenue generating departments.
- Experience with quantitative research, ROI, and patron behavior analysis.
Marketing Strategy and Implementation
- Plan, develop, and oversee implementation of all marketing, agency content, communications, public relations, institutional branding, web and social media, publications, and promotions to support ArtsKC’s overall development, including revenue and engagement goals.
- Create, manage and implement a comprehensive media and marketing strategy, including budget and associated earned income goals.
- Devise and supervise database and market research projects including analysis and interpretation of data for ongoing improvement of marketing plans.
- Establish and implement social media and web development strategies as well as oversee the ArtsKC website and print content and design.
- Ensure marketing systems and procedures align with ArtsKC’s mission and are regularly reviewed for efficiency and effectiveness.
- Evaluate marketing needs and identify cost-effective and efficient solutions.
- Define and assess opportunities for development of new and existing audiences.
- Develop annual and long-range institutional and programmatic marketing and communication plans that align with the strategic plan.
- Monitor cultural trends and peer organizations to identify new opportunities.
- Expand audience awareness of ArtsKC within the region and beyond through targeted digital and conventional marketing strategies.
- Foster and leverage ArtsKC’s strong reputation to develop future opportunities for expansion and growth.
- Support President & CEO by serving as a spokesperson for the organization in articulating its mission, vision, values, and impacts.
- Represent ArtsKC in the larger Kansas City community by attending and participating in events as appropriate.
- Take responsibility for promoting ArtsKC programs and initiatives by effectively communicating those activities locally, regionally, and sometimes nationally.
Management and Operations
- Work integrally with ArtsKC development and programming staff to ensure organizational goals are met.
- Cultivate an innovative and positive working environment that enables growth in new technology and marketing practices.
- Direct the development of all visual and print materials and images for the entire organization, maintaining the strength, integrity and consistency of the ArtsKC visual identity and image.
- Manage the day-to-day activities of staff supporting marketing, communications and key special events, including professional vendors, service providers and consultants.
- Assist President & CEO and Vice President of Finance and Operations in developing income and expense budgets for marketing and communications.
- Collaborate heavily with Audience Development initiatives, as in-house expert, to reach programmatic goals for the advancement of arts industry marketing capacity.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Management retains the right to add or change job duties at any time.
Hours: Full time, exempt, some evening and weekends required.
Salary: Commensurate with experience.
Benefits: Excellent health, 401k, dental, vision and disability benefits. Paid vacation/sick/personal leave.
To Apply (Deadline of midnight, June 23, 2019):
No phone calls please. Please submit a single pdf document titled, “LastName_FirstName.pdf via email, containing a cover letter, resume, two work/writing samples, and three references to: Human Resources at email@example.com
It is the fundamental policy of ArtsKC to provide equal employment opportunities regardless of race, creed, color, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, age, Veteran status or disability status.